This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wellbeing #2 Expensive, gourmet whey protein

Every morning for the past 7 years I have had a whey protein smoothie. Every single morning. It is the single longest commitment to a food I have ever had, with the exception of chocolate. Yet for some reason I always feel really bad spending the $10 a month it costs to buy whey protein. I don't know why I feel badly about spending the money, Steve has never complained, our child has never gone 'without' so that I may have whey protein, yet still I always cringe when I see the purchase price.

Well, that's over now. Ridiculous, right? This week I went to Whole Foods market and bought the fancy-shmancy whey protein, the kind with the seaweed built right in! Yum!

Just a little thing. A little way to care for myself. A way to ensure my wellbeing.

2 comments:

I'm Julie said...

Does why protein have calories? Does it taste like anything?

I have been hooked on pure fruit/veggies smoothies for a couple of months now. I have one for breakfast almost every morning. It would be nice to get some protein into it, but I don't want to add dairy.

Beth said...

Whey protein does have calories. The kind I use (Biochem 100% Greens & Whey) has 100 calories per scoop (I use 1 scoop) and 1 gram of fat. It has less than 1 gram of sugar and 20 grams of protein. I need the protein to feel full longer and to avoid feeling jittery in the morning.