This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I know virtually everything!

I am reading the Little House on the Prairie series with my daughter. My daughter and I are both alike: we are only on the second book and both of us have already become pioneer women. We both decided that we needed to learn how to knit and crochet, we both want to make our own soap, we have already eaten cornbread and molasses just to say we did.

It is probably not surprising that I know how to do none of these things. I may not know, but youtube does. I have learned to knit, crochet, make soap, create a gingerbread house from graham crackers, add beads to a knitted project, and make an envelope from construction paper all from watching youtube videos.

As part of my 'make all my gifts this year' project, I decided to knit Debbie a scarf for her birthday. Her birthday has long since passed and I am still knitting away, ripping out more rows than I keep, but studiously clicking away whilst the appropriate youtube video instructs, encourages, and cajoles me into believing that I can finish this project! Look how easy it is! Here we'll show you one more time!

I am part of a new generation of parent: want to learn how to build a rocket little Joey? Watch youtube! Not sure how to beat egg whites til they form soft peaks? Youtube can show you the way! I don't ever need to take a class, talk to another human being, or read a book again. All my knowledge can come from youtube.

Scary, isn't it?

No comments: