This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Friday, January 23, 2009

52 Weeks of Wellbeing

I really enjoy Julie's 52 Graces and the subsequent inspiration it has given to Deb and Chellie as they count their own graces. The things I really noticed that were missing from my life after I started focusing on the things for which I am grateful were the little things I do for myself to keep/encourage my mental/physical wellbeing. There are so many times when I could do something nice for myself and I simply forget to do it. Occassionally in the past I have tried keeping a journal or writing things down on a calendar to remember to include a nicety for myself but the writings and the reminders have always ended up going by the wayside for one reason or another.

Yesterday it occurred to me that I could be accountable to myself if I included a goal each week in my blog. Something I do just for me: could be large, probably will be small, but a nicety, just the same. Something to pamper myself. Add comfort to my life. A small indulgence perhaps. I'm starting small: just one thing I'll try for one day just once a week. I'd like to just see where this leads.

So..today, immediately after this post, I am going to sit down and do my nails. My hands are dry and chapped, my nails are too long, and one of my cuticles is looking ragged. I have laundry to do and food to prepare for a party we are having tonight, and a house to clean. That's okay, all those things can get done after I take a moment for me.

52 Weeks of Wellbeing. How different could all our lives feel if each week, just for moment, we concentrated on our own wellbeing? I, for one, am going to find out!

1 comment:

I'm Julie said...

That is a fantastic idea. I am going to try to take better care of myself too! I ignore my nails, my skin, everything.. too busy, blah blah.

Thanks for the inspiration!