This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Annie's Used Books

As I've said before, I love books. I love bookstores. I also love libraries but am soon to become persona-non-grata at our local library consortium because I reside in a city that has so mismanaged its money over the years that it hasn't bought a decent book in 8 years. The other cities' libraries (who receive STATE money let's not forget) have decided to punish us lesser residents by not letting us borrow books from their libraries. It is a sad, sad tale, I know.

All of this to explain how I found myself travelling far afield in search of a decent used bookstore. I happened upon Annie's http://www.anniesbookstopworc.com/. Upon entering Annie's I was immediately greeted by Granny Annie herself who gave me a full tour of the store. It was intoxicating to breathe in the aroma of so much ink and publisher's paste. It was a feast for the eyes to see towering shelves filled to capacity with books, all at half price. Mostly though, it was a treat to meet Granny Annie. Her silver nails embellished with poinsettias sparkled as she pointed her bejeweled fingers at the different book sections. Her tour was thorough and businesslike, no laughing at Steve's jokes for Granny Annie. My mind boggled as she explained the pricing system which seems to have something to do with the alignment of the planets and how much Annie feels like charging at that particular time. I couldn't wait to dig in.

I found everything -- well -- almost everything. There was one section of books I wanted to peruse but couldn't work up the nerve to ask some one's grandmother where it was: the smut section. I tried to hint, but I'm not very good at hinting and Granny Annie thought I was looking for books on the occult. I am really not a good hinter. Still, it says a lot about my personal hang-ups and inhibitions that I felt more comfortable with Granny Annie thinking I wanted to pray to a pentagram than read smut.

I finally left the store $58 lighter, about 10 books heavier, and eager to dig in to my new cache. Granny Annie valiantly asked me to be sure to come back soon which I felt was a real honor considering she thinks I'm a devil worshipper.

Don't worry Annie, I'll be back and maybe I'll even purchase some books on religion just to keep her on her toes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard right now- Ok here's how you say it- "Do you have an erotica section?" It's much less benign than smut or even the occult for that matter. You are too funny!!!