This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Weekly Wellbeing: I have started drinking!

Water. I have started drinking more water. Perhaps it is intuitive to everyone else in the world that our bodies, which are made of 80% water, need water to live. For some reason, this has not been intuitive to me. I frequently forget to drink water. In fact, on the rare occasion that I don’t start my morning with a smoothie, I may not consume any liquid the entire day! I know all about the wonders of water: beautiful, glowing skin, strong, smooth finger/toenails, glossy hair, faster metabolism, healthier lymph system, healthier intestines…I am sure the list goes on and on. I know these things, but I haven’t internalized them.

I have a lot of excuses:

Bottled water is expensive and bad for the environment and the world’s water supply. Reusable water bottles may be leaching dangerous toxins from the plastic into the water. It takes forever to refill my Brita filtering container. I don’t feel thirsty (well, frequently I do but I mistake thirst for hunger and I eat instead). I eat a lot of foods high in water content. I intend to drink more, but I just keep forgetting.

Yes, they all sound lame, even to me.

The truth is that drinking water is a habit, like brushing my teeth and exercising. Once I’m in a good rhythm then I have no trouble remembering, but any little change to my schedule and the water habit flies out the window. But really, that’s just another excuse. I have had many changes to my schedule and I never forget to brush my teeth. I could have my schedule turned upside down and I wouldn’t forget to eat! Once drinking more water becomes a priority for me, I’ll remember no matter what happens in my schedule.

So, Cheers! Bottoms Up!

No comments: