This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

What's behind Curtain #1?

In the women's locker room at my gym there is a special "curtained off area" with a sign that reads NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 BEYOND THIS CURTAIN.  I have always wondered what is going on beyond the curtain but 1)  I don't really want to take the time to go exploring when I should be working out and 2) having seen a constant stream of elderly ladies going behind the curtain I am a little too scared to see what might be back there.

Yesterday the curtain was open.

The locker room was packed: sweaty spandex and breasts and feet as far as the eye could see.  I had no choice, I had to go back into the (open) curtained area because there was simply no room in the outer locker room.  At first glance all appears normal: lockers, benches, you know, the usual locker room stuff.  I relax a little as I sit down on the bench to change from street shoes to gym shoes.  It's when I lean down to lace up that I see it.  About the size of a saucer.  Almost perfectly round.  Still (gulp!) fresh.  A puddle of pee.

Now look people, I myself have blogged about the power of exercise to inspire our waste removal systems, but I have never peed on the floor of the locker room.  I know, I know, urine is sterile, blah blah blah, many women suffer from bladder control problems, yada yada yada, pee happens.

Still, nearly dragging my laces through it was a bit shocking (not to mention gross).  I think I'll put a suggestion in the Suggestion Box that encourages the gym to put non-slip vinyl flooring in the locker rooms.  And mops.  And maybe they should change that curtain to a waterproof shower curtain, just in case someone gets a little wild.

If this is what is going on in the changing area, can you see why I don't want to set foot in the showers???

1 comment:

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Oh Beth, that is disgusting! As a total germaphobe I would have been beside myself. Certainly there are plenty of paper towels and disinfectant available. Couldn't the creator of the mess discreetly cleaned it up? Gross!