This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.
Saturday, July 31, 2010
My Summer Top 10 List
I've been thinking lately about a Top 10 list: what are my 10 favorite things to do/experience this summer. Here's what I have come up with so far:
10. The way my house smells first thing in the morning when the windows have been open all night long and the air is still cool.
9. Sipping Simply Lemonade. With plenty of ice. (Fresh squeezed would only be better if someone else was willing to squeeze it for me...)
8. Scrunching my toes in the sand. Not being a native New Englander, I had no idea that there were so many types of sand on beaches. York beach in York, Maine has a course, brown sandy beach. Hampton Beach in Hampton, New Hampshire has a soft, yellow sand. Ogunquit Beach in Ogunquit, Maine has a soft, light brown sand. Marblehead Beach in Salem, Massachusetts has a very rocky beach with not much sand at all. Whatever their type, I like all beaches and scrunching my toes in all kinds of sand.
7. Seeing the bees really working the flowers in front my house. The previous owner planted lavendar and the bees just go crazy over the stuff. Every day, without fail they show up to work. I don't know much about bees but I think these bees are honey bees. They are big and fat and can barely squeeze their bee-bodies into each flower. They don't seem bothered by me trying to weed the area around the lavendar and other flowers and to my amazement, even with hundreds of bees around me, I've never been stung. Thanks, bees!
6. Freshly painted hot-pink toenails. I rarely paint my fingernails but in the summer I like to have my toes looking cute. Hot pink is my choice this summer. Probably it's weird but glancing down at my cute-hot-pink-toes set against my tanned foot makes me smile.
5. The smell of Hawaiian Tropic suntain lotion. Probably laden with chemicals and extra artificial ingredients to make that wonderful, trademark smell, Hawaiian Tropic has it right: it just smells like summer.
4. Eating cherries on the back deck. Having a pit-spitting contest with my daughter to see who can spit their pit the farthest into the woods.
3. Grilled corn on the cob. Purchased fresh that day from the farmer's market. With butter and salt.
2. The sound of the ocean. Be it crashing waves, screaming gulls, the blowing wind, or the dull roar of the surf, I find the complex sounds of the ocean to be at times calming, at times stimulating and always awe-inspiring.
1. The smell of my daughter's hair in the summer: a potpourri of chlorine, shampoo, and sun. I could just breathe that child in forever. She's 11 now, so time spent hugging mom whilst I smell her hair is both short and met with horror ("Mo-om! Why are you so weird???"). No matter. I know what's important.
So there it is. My Top 10 Summer Pleasures. Any of those pleasures resonate with you? Any pleasures to add?