This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's a job, not a career

This past week I have been super busy doing seasonal work for a nearby college bookstore.  I absolutely love the job and hope they can use me again in the fall when they are flooded with new students buying their books.  The time flies by, my co-workers (all students) are interesting, witty, and hard working.  But best of all?  It's a job, not a career.  When I walk out of that bookstore each day to pick my daughter up from school my workday is instantly put behind me.  No lingering work worries.  No projects undone.  No nervousness about what tomorrow will bring.  It is, for where I am in my life right now, the pefect job.

Have you ever had a perfect job?  My first job was babysitting when I was 11. I made 50 cents an hour and was grateful for it.  I then moved on to fast food, retail, an office environment, and finally a classroom.  I remember in college when I worked for Gingiss Formalwear thinking that it was the perfect job.  Every day was different, each customer usually excited because of a wedding, prom, or interesting formal function.  The bookstore job is a lot like that: the college kids are either buying their caps and gowns, selling off their old textbooks, or picking up the new books for summer classes.  I love hearing what they are planning on doing with the money they earn from selling back their textbooks: there has been a lot of discussion about buying lunch, buying gas, getting a coffee at Starbucks instead of Dunkin' Donuts, and of course, beer.  There is always lots of discussion about beer.  I remind them to drink responsibly, hand them their cash, and wish them well.  I'm not there to judge, just to buy their old books.

I really hope I get picked up again in the fall when the freshmen pour in for their first college textbook buying experience.  Sure, there will be a lot of sticker shock (the book prices are unbelievable) but overall the atmosphere will be one of hope, adventure, excitement, and new beginnings.  I get energized just thinking about it.

Right now the laundry is a little piled up.  Things are getting a little dusty.  My feet are a little sore.  But I get to spend each day while my daughter is in school in the company of college kids who are all looking forward: looking forward to summer vacation, looking forward to summer classes, looking forward to graduation, looking forward to new friendships, new romances, new adventures, and new opportunities.  As for me?  I feel like the luckiest temp in the world.

Anyone have an interesting or fun job experience you'd like to share?  I love hearing your comments!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I was wondering where you'd gone off to. Sometimes a little work that's not too taxing is a good thing.

I loved my work as a massage therapist before arthritis stopped it in it's tracks. The great thing about it was that people were always happy to see you and even happier and more relaxed when they left. I also had the privilege of working with people who had just finished cancer treatment. It was always amazing to me how their diagnosis often changed their lives for the better, they had a new appreciation for the simple things in life. I really miss the work sometimes.

Deb said...

I want a job and not a career! Glad to know you're enjoying yours!
My first job was working at Burger King- I could make a whopper in 7 seconds...now that's impressive!
(I Know- right?!)

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Glad you are enjoying the job.

I enjoyed bartending best. Everybody is always happy to see a bartender or a fireman. Bartending is like being Santa Clause. People ask for things and you bring them. Also, you get a lot of free drinks when you get off work.