This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Life's Embarrassing Moments

Yesterday a very dear friend of mine suffered a very public, very embarrassing moment. As this little guy is only 9 years old, I am able to provide the perspective that with all the opportunities for embarrassment provided by girls, friends, co-workers, bosses, condoms, and the IRS, this moment may not even make it to his Top 10 list by the time he is my age. However, his predicament did get me thinking about my own “most” embarrassing moments. There are so many to choose from that I can’t really qualify one as the number one moment in my life, but merely as the number one moment during that time of my life. There was the time that I was so deliberately vague when asking a boy to my junior high Sadie Hawkins dance that he got the impression that I wanted to have sex with him, an impression which he shared with the rest of my 8th grade class. There was the time that my irritable bowel syndrome produced a bout of the wicked twisties so violent I was forced to ask my co-workers with whom I was carpooling to pull over at an underpass so I could “evacuate.” That particular bout left me so ill and weak that I wasn’t even properly embarrassed until the next day. Then of course there was the time that my new husband and I were engaging in a very intimate moment and my body chose to make its gaseous emissions. And those are just the biggies from each decade! Add to those all the little times of having my name forgotten by someone, or being wrong and too dumb to admit it before I looked a fool, or wearing all the wrong clothes…the list goes on and on. I feel confident in saying that I will have more embarrassing moments to add to this list, maybe even by the end of the day. I feel bad for my friend, Jack, but not too bad, because someday I think he will laugh at this and after all, laughter is the best medicine!

No comments: