This blog chronicles my life as I try to balance healthy lifestyle habits with my husband's penchant for pizza rolls and my daughter's desire to watch iCarly 8 hours a day. It contains a mostly humorous, kind, and somewhat spiritual look at everyday life and the people who live it.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

My New Job

For awhile now I have been wondering what I want to be when I grow up. I have done the computer-programmer thing and frankly, even with all the orderly 1's and 0's appealing to my need for order and control, I just don't see myself doing it again.

I have substitute taught, a job I loved, but the erratic schedule drove my family crazy.

I have volunteered my little heart out which is definitely work, but somehow still I have felt unfulfilled.

I have considered going back to school for everything from my master's in education to a degree in physical education so I can be a personal trainer.

I just didn't know what I wanted to do...

...So I prayed about it and waited and worried about it and waited and forgot about it and then the phone rang: "Beth, are you available to teach kindergarten for at least 4 weeks starting Wednesday?"

"Ummm..."

"We realize that you don't have a teaching certificate or even a substitute teaching certificate but you are background-checked and we are desperate!"

"Ummm...I um guess I um, well yeah! I'd actually love it!"

"Wonderful! You start Monday with a conference but you'll need to get your classroom in order because after the conference is orientation on Tuesday and school starts Wednesday."

"Okay!" I get off the phone. The reality sets in. What have I done??

Well, I've leaped again, that's what I've done. This is another leap of faith in a long line of leaps, jumps, and hops and I'm sure this one will turn out to be (like all the others) exactly the right thing to be doing at the right time.

I'm scared, though. Nervous. Intimidated. And very, very excited.

I love kids this age and I love being in the classroom. So here I go: 1, 2, 3 JUMP!

4 comments:

K said...

Horray for you!! What a great fit and what lucky kids. Have fun for me too.

Chellie said...

You go, Girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to ROCK that classroom and those lucky little kids!

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Congrats, Beth. You'll be great at it.

Love,

SB

K said...

Ruth and Tom from the daily mass are thrilled with your new postition - What lucky children - was the exclaimation from our favorite lady in yellow